Is Your Diet Balanced?
“Eating a varied and balanced diet is important for good nutrition and illness prevention. ”
Eating a balanced diet that includes a variety of different foods from all of the food groups is important in ensuring you are getting a wide array of nutrients and to help prevent diet-related illnesses. The term ‘food variety’ means eating various foods within and across each of the five food groups.
How can I include variety in my diet?
Ensuring you are consuming a balanced diet is simple—just choose foods from all of the different food groups! The five food groups include:
- Vegetables and legumes
- Grains, cereals, bread, rice, pasta, noodles
- Lean meat, fish, poultry, eggs, nuts, legumes and meat alternatives
- Milk, yoghurt, cheese and dairy alternatives
Curves Complete meals and recipes encourage a balanced diet by incorporating different types of foods and ingredients from the above five food groups.
Here are some tips to help ensure your diet has variety!
- Make your plate colourful by choosing different types of fruits and vegetables to ensure you are getting all of the nutrients that each has to offer
- Vary your protein sources by including lean red meats, poultry, fish and vegetarian sources such as beans and legumes, tofu, eggs, etc.
- Choose different wholegrains throughout the week such as bread, wraps, brown rice, pasta, couscous, quinoa, etc.
- Don’t forget dairy foods – dairy foods are an excellent source of calcium and the best sources are low fat/skim milk, yoghurt and low fat cheese
- Include healthy fats from different oils, avocado, nuts, seeds and nut pastes