Italian-Style Stuffed Capsicums
Our Italian-Style Stuffed Capsicums get a healthy twist with the use of turkey mince instead of traditional beef filling. If you'd like to make a larger batch, these freeze well for a quick and easy meal later on.
Prep Time: 30 Minutes
2 tbsps bread crumbs, whole wheat
3/4 tsp olive oil
3/4 tsp balsamic vinegar
30g of Italian sausage
1/4 cup of diced tomatoes, canned, no salt added
1 tbsp parsley, fresh
1 medium capsicum, red, raw
85g of turkey mince, 99% lean, raw
1/4 medium onion, raw
1/2 cup of tomato paste, no salt added
1/2 cube beef stock, reduced sodium
1 red capsicum, crushed
1 clove garlic, raw
2 tbsps of parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 190 °C.
- Chop onion. In a large skillet, sauté onion in olive oil over medium heat until onion begins to soften, about 5 minutes. Set ½ sautéed onion aside in a large bowl.
- Stir tomato sauce, beef broth, balsamic vinegar and red pepper flakes into the skillet; cook for about 1 minute until heated through.
- Pour tomato sauce mixture into a large baking dish and set aside.
- Combine breadcrumbs, turkey mince, sausage, diced tomatoes, chopped parsley, minced garlic, and cayenne pepper into the large mixing bowl with the sautéed onions; mix to combine well.
- Stir in ½ parmesan cheese. Set meat mixture aside.
- Slice the capsicums in half and discard the membranes. Stuff each half of the capsicums with the meat mixture and place inside the baking dish with the tomato sauce. Sprinkle the remaining Parmesan cheese over the stuffed capsicums.
- Cover the baking dish with aluminum foil and bake for 45 minutes.
- Remove aluminum foil and bake another 20-25 minutes until the meat is cooked through and the cheese is bubbly.
- Enjoy capsicums topped with tomato sauce.