Tips for kick-starting a healthier lifestyle
“Tips for kick-starting a healthier lifestyle you don’t have to transform your life overnight – just start with a small, simple change.”
We all want the best for our families, but making the change to a healthier lifestyle can seem daunting. With so much information available, it can be hard to know where to start, and sometimes it feels easier not to start at all! But don’t give up – you don’t have to transform your life overnight – just start with a small, simple change.
Choose one thing you and your family can do differently – such as drinking more water, eating more veggies, or going for a walk every day. Making a small change to your routine may not seem like much, but this one change to your day can add up to a big difference to the health of you and your family.
To help you get started, here’s a list of healthy new habits to choose from:
- Stop adding salt to meals, and use herbs and spices for flavour instead
- Eat veggies with every lunch or dinner meal
- Get up and walk around every time there’s an ad break on the TV
- Switch to reduced fat or low fat dairy
- Swap soft drinks for water
- Walk around while you’re on the phone
- Eat 2 pieces of fruit every day
- Walk up/down the stairs instead of taking the lift or escalator
- Cook more meals at home, rather than eating out or ordering in
- Eat 5 serves of vegies a day
- Walk for 30 minutes every day
Once you feel comfortable with your new habit, choose another one and keep going. Working together as a family to gradually improve lifestyle habits will help you all stay motivated and enjoy great results.
Mums United is a Heart Foundation initiative which aims to help Australian families take small, easy steps towards a healthier lifestyle and a healthy weight.
For more healthy eating and activity tips to help you stay on track just click here.